Everything You Need To Know About Oscars 2016
Snacks, blankets, action! If, like me, you were watching the Oscars 2k16 from outside the US, you can understand the state I'm in right now with only 4 hours of sleep combined with lectures. Yet every year, this event is one of the main things that I look forward to, until one day where I will hopefully witness it firsthand.
It was a delightful but sleepless night, full of chocolate and Lotus biscuits but if you ask me if it was worth it to see Leo get his first Oscar after all these years I could only respond with one thing: Hell yeah.
- The Winners
If you haven't watched it, here are the winners:
- Best Picture: Spotlight
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Leonardo DiCaprio
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: Brie Larson
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Mark Rylance
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Alicia Vikander
- Best Animated Feature Film: Inside Out
- Best Cinematography: The Revenant
- Best Costume Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Best Directing: The Revenant
- Best Documentary: Amy
- Best Short Subject Documentary: A Girl In The River: The Price of Forgiveness
- Best Film Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Best Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul
- Best Make-Up and Hairstyling: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Best Original Score: The Hateful Eight
- Best Original Song: Spectre
- Best Production Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Best Animated Short Film: Bear Story
- Best Live Action Short Film: Stutterer
- Best Sound Editing: Mad Max Fury Road
- Best Sound Mixing: Mad Max Fury Road
- Best Visual Effects: Ex Machina
- Best Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short
- Best Original Screenplay: Spotlight
- The Outfits
Of course, as always, there were outfits that were stunning and outfits that just didn't work. Here are some of my favourites and one that I absolutely hated.
I think Rooney Mara has an amazingly unique style. She is usually simple yet elegant. I loved this button up lace Givenchy dress. It showed an adequate amount of skin thanks to the diamond shape cutout and she rocked the edgy hairdo, completing the totally fierce look. Even though she didn't win, the dress won my heart.
No. Just no. When I first saw the top of this Gucci dress, I thought it had potential. If it was just simple, flowing down like Oscar dresses do without the absurd belt, I would have given this outfit 10/10. However the belt and the skirt completely destroyed the outfit. Though she's an amazing actress and such a sweetheart, I wouldn't even wear this for clubbing.
Just like her movie Mad Max, she is the outfit winner of the night. I am absolutely in love with this Dior dress. The neckline, the colour, the hair, the jewellery; there is not a single flaw in this outfit. But then again, is there a flaw in Charlize Theron?
- Chris Rock
Okay, he wasn't Ellen. It can be debated whether he was better than Neil Patrick Harris or not, but Chris Rock was exciting. His monologue and the not-so-subtle hints about the Academy not rewarding black actors and actresses were perfect to acknowledge Black History Month.
I love him already from his roles in Grown Ups and Think Like a Men, but the Oscars definitely made me want to watch his shows.
- Leonardo DiCaprio
He waited. We waited. Martin Scorsese waited. Many years, many amazing performances went by, yet the Academy never rewarded Leo. However, this year, with his amazing performance in The Revenant (which got 3 Oscars), he finally got the award he deserved.
One thing I loved about Leo was when he talked about the environment in his speech, linking it to the Revenant saying that it portrayed the relationship between men and the nature and that we should finally realise our impact on earth. Leo, as well as being a co-producer for Cowspiracy, totally captured my heart.
Congratulations Romeo, you deserved it.